Monday, April 18, 2011

And the Dance?


Luz Elena, the main voice and songwriter behind Portland band Y La Bamba, has quite a story to tell. Her parents were Mexican immigrants that brought their family to America for a better life. She grew up in the San Francisco area with a socially sheltered and staunch catholic upbringing listening to mostly traditional Mexican music. Later in life she traveled to New Zealand to further study Theology, eventually missioned to India, contracted disease, suffered from Insomnia, lost 60 pounds, etc. and her journey back to health left her in Portland. She mingled with the eclectic music scene there of and Y La Bamba was born...kind of. So that's the short story of her background that can give you an insight in to where her incredible songwriting is being pulled from. She's had a wild ride it seems. She started mostly doing acoustic stuff-recording raw songs to her mac-book, which kind of turned into her first effort entitled "Alida St." Her style is her own, a version of freak-folk, if you will. You'll instantly fall in love with her voice. Very classy and crisp, but the way it unpredictably twists up and down through the songs is what hooks you. She has an uncanny prowess and is great alone, but when she meshes with the full band their sound really shines. They're a super talented group of musicians (6 including Luz) using horns, accordion, fiddle, singing saw, percussion, and guitars to delicately carry their complex vocal harmonies through the songs in an almost jazzy sort of way. It's very light, beautiful and blissful music that you can sway and groove to with ease. Something like a Latino influenced Thao Nguyen meets Beirut meets Devendra Banhart. Hooky acoustic guitar melodies, an ambience of horns, strings and accordion, and groovy drum rhythms backing a powerful vocal force that instantly consumes you. Their first real full-length entitled "Lupon" was released in 2010 and is highly recommended.

-BlackReignbow


3 comments:

  1. your interests on here have been pretty dark so far, so you'd lost my interest because i haven't (yet?) gotten into that. i'm glad to see some of the breadth of your interest.
    it's hard to listen, for 45 minutes, to one band in a genre that you've never listened to, so would you consider making some carefully constructed playlists?
    my ears love educated playlists.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello me.

    So yes, I've been a metal dude for some time now and am akin to the Dark Side, but I am many other things too, so don't give up on me or assume anything about my posts before reading. Good noise is good noise. Although a lot of my posts have been on the darker side, I am quite well-rounded and I'll make sure I make that impression eventually on this blog.

    At any rate, well done for trying out Corrupted-definitely not what I'd recommend for a first taste into metal, but I commend you for giving them a go-it'll likely take time to get to that point.

    Anyway, to answer your question...if by playlist you mean something like a sampler, I'd jump at the chance. But to abide by 'carefully constructed', I'm gonna need some help from you. I need to know your tastes a little more. So any insight as to what you might enjoy will help me greatly to construct a playlist for you. It is a metal introduction you're after right?

    I want to make sure we're on the same page before I go on.

    ReplyDelete
  3. sort of. the term 'metal' turns me off. guess i'm just prejudiced.

    you get high praise, though, for your musical interests so any playlist you wanna make for me would be great!

    my musical tastes are pretty well summed up here:
    http://www.last.fm/user/kseeful

    -kayleen

    p.s. thankssssssssssss

    ReplyDelete