Tuesday, August 9, 2011

More of that Summertime Glee

The first time my eyes were opened to Givers was at Sasquatch Music Festival this year and they were definitely the upset of the festival. One of the few bands I had no idea about and I was completely taken by the first song. Immediately I went home found they're music and impatiently awaited the release of their debut album "In Light", which I have here for you.
It's now been a couple months and still I think I've got it at number one for indie-pop releases for 2011. I can't get enough of it. The uplifting energy that emits from every turn of the record is unrelenting. There is such a youthful freshness to it. Dance-y jangle-y guitars that intertwine, spiraling into the atmosphere of glittery shimmering synths. Ecstatic percussion with lots of shakers, maracas, drum rim hits. Afro-poppy bouncy rhythms. And the vocals (from multiple members- male and female) are incredibly catchy and really just put the icing on the cake. This is a must if you're into The Dirty Projectors, (late) Animal Collective, Local Natives, Vampire Weekend (..shhh), Yeasayer, etc.


Givers - "In Light"

///Raining the Black

No comments:

Post a Comment